Browse Exhibits (1 total)
The Journal of Sister Justina and the Santa Maria Institute
Two women played a crucial Catholic role in the city of Cincinnati from the late nineteenth into the early twentieth century. Justina and Blandina Segale were Sisters of Charity who provided social services to impoverished Catholic immigrants throughout the Progressive Era in the Ohio city through the Santa Maria Institute, established for that purpose by the sisters in 1897. This website illuminates their social work through documents and images, relying particularly on a journal kept by Sister Justina during the Santa Maria Institute years.