These readings have been compiled by the creators of this site so that those who wish to learn more about the important topics, subjects, groups, and individuals discussed in the "1919 Bishops' Plan" website. While there are additional resources available to researchers, this list is intended as a start.
- Abell, Aaron, American Catholicism and Social Action. Garden City, NY: Hanover House 1960.
- _______. "The Bishops' 1919 Program." Social Order. 12 1962 109-18.
- Abrams, Ray H. Preachers Present Arms: A Study of the War Time Attitudes and Activities of the Church and the Clergy in the United States, 1914-1918. New York: Round Table Press, Inc., 1933.
- Bruni, Gerardo. Progressive Scholasticism. St. Louis, MO: B. Herder Books, 1929.
- Buenker, Jon D. Progressive Reform: A Guide to Information Sources. Detroit, MI: Gale Research Co., 1980.
- Camp, Richard L. The Papal Handbook of Social Reform: A Study in Historical Development, 1878-1967. London: E.J. Brill, 1969.
- Cashman, Sean Dennis. America in the Age of the Titans: The Progressive Era and World War I. New York: New York University Press, 1988. AU, DC, GM, GW, MU.
- Chambers, John Whiteclay. The Tyranny of Change: America in the Progressive Era, 1900-1917. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1980. MU, GM, GW, AU, DC.
- Cohen, Stanley. Reform, War, and Reaction: 1912-1932. Columbus: University of South Carolina Press, 1972. AU, GW.
- Cohen, Warren. The American Revisionists: The Lesson of Intervention in World Wart I. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1967.
- Cross, Robert D. Emergence of Liberal Catholicism in America. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1958.
- Cruden, Robert Morse. Ministers of Reform: The Progressives' Achievement in American Civilization, 1889-1920. New York: Basic Books, 1982.
- Ede, Alfred J. The Lay Crusade for a Christian America: A Study of the American Federation of Catholic Societies, 1900-1919. New York: Garland, 1988.
(CU - only one copy in consortium)
- Halsey, William M. The Survival of American Innocence: Catholicism in an Era of Disillusionment, 1920-1940. Notre Dame, Ind.: University of Notre Dame Press, 1980.
- Kerby, William, Social Mission of Charity. A Study of Points of Present View in Catholic Charities. New York: The Macmillian Company, 1921.
- McFarland, Gerald W. Mugwumps, Morals & Politics, 1884-1920. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 1975. AU, DC, GW, MU.
- McGlade, Joseph. Progressive Educators and the Catholic Church. Westminster, MD: Newman Press, 1953.
- McGuire, C. E. Catholic Builders of the Nation. New York: Catholic Book Company, 1935.
- McKeown, Elizabeth. War and Welfare: American Catholics and World War I. New York: Garland, 1988.
- _______. "The National Bishops' Conference: An Analysis of Its Origins." Catholic Historical Review. 66, 1980.
- Roddy, Edward G. "The Catholic Newspaper Press and the Quest for Social Justice, 1912-1920." (Ph.D. dissertation, Georgetown University) 1961.
- Shannon, David A. Progressive and Postwar Disillusionment, 1898-1928. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1966.
- Weinstein, James. The Corporate Ideal in the Liberal States, 1900-1918. Boston: Beacon Press, 1968.
- Williams, Michael. American Catholics in the War: National Catholic War Council 1917-1921. New York: Macmillian, 1921.
- Zybura, John Stanislaus. Present-day Thinkers and the New Scholasticism: An International Symposium, 1920. St. Louis, MO: B. Herder Books Co., 1926.